Tackle Blood Cancer with Seabelo

Register for this drive

Tackle Blood Cancer with Seabelo

My name is Seabelo Senatla, and I am DHL Stormers player. I've recently joined DKMS Africa on their life-saving mission and so should you. Register to become a potential stem cell donor and help give patients diagnosed with blood cancer or blood disorders a second chance at life.

The Cause

Recently, I had the privilege of meeting Axola, an avid rugby player whose life took a drastic turn when he was diagnosed with severe aplastic anaemia.

Axola's story deeply touched me as I learned about his challenges and how a matching stem cell donor can help save his life.

Every 72 minutes, someone in South Africa is diagnosed with blood cancer or a blood disorder. While 30% of patients find matches within their families, the remaining 70% depend on unrelated donors like you and I to register and spread the word so that more patients can find their perfect genetic match.

Patients diagnosed with blood cancer or disorders have a higher chance of finding a matching stem cell donor within their own race due to HLA characteristics. What is concerning to me is that patients from Black, Coloured, Indian, and Asian backgrounds face greater difficulty in finding a matching stem cell donor due to the low number of registered donors from these ethnic backgrounds.

That's why I urge you to join me by registering to become a stem cell donor, so that patients from diverse ethnic backgrounds can get a second chance at life.

Here's a step-by-step guide on the process:

    • Click the REGISTER FOR THIS DRIVE tap and start the registration process. Provide your personal details such as name, date of birth, address, and contact information and a free swab kit will be sent to you.
    • Once you get your swab kit, you will find instructions on how to collect your DNA sample using 3 buccal swabs. This usually involves rubbing swabs inside your mouth to collect your tissue type, which is crucial for matching patients with donors.
    • After you've done swabbing, return the swab kit and it will be sent to the DKMS Life Science, where it will be processed in the laboratory to determine your tissue type (HLA typing). This information is then added to the donor registry.
    • If you are identified as a potential match for a patient in need of a stem cell transplant, the medical team at DKMS Africa will contact you.

Remember, all costs related to the donation process are taken care of by DKMS Africa. You will not be asked to pay for anything.

DKMS Contact Person

Donor Recruitment Team

Are you ready to become a potential lifesaver? Join the register now